The splendid dream, William Penn.
- Publication date
- 16mm Film, Educational Film, Penn, William, 1644-1718, Biography (Persons), Television programs, American Colonies, Liberty, Rulers, Rulers (Persons), United States of America (USA), Persons), Social values
- Bloomington, IN : Indiana University
- Digitizing sponsor
- Internet Archive
- Internet Archive
An excerpt from the 'CALVALCADE OF AMERICA' television program. Recounts the story of William Penn, who through his father's close association with King Charles II and the Duke of York obtains a grant of land in the American colonies where he establishes a haven of religious freedom.
- The. Place Ireland the year sixteen sixty seven in court and amazing proclamation is posted it shall be a criminal offence for modern Christians above the age of sixteen years to gather for the purpose to religious worship except within the bounds of and I stab sure. Conviction and imprisonment. Shall be determined by magistrates without the benefit of jury. With has been a federal jury. Going to go. That's happening that a parent realize how we feel the conventional Act was one of the most done just been rigidly enforced laws in English history. It's settled upon a man like a chill night it's an act meant by the cavalier parliament of charge for a second because the feeling of discontent and out of this discontent resentment was born. From the first it was inevitable that there would be some in this Irish town of talk as well as in other parts of the British Isles who would not and could not obeyed this is the true story of one such man so this is the meeting place of the group called the Friends yes we lived there should be a read tonight in a feature be found here is our entire future might be true you must let me go out there where you tonight. Oh. It's the junk coming. Haven't arrived yet. Oh it's all right this is my friend William Penn. Place a give us welcome to this House believes me is mine. I've been looking for a week to seeing you again. Seeing me again. I've heard you preach before when I was a child who came to my father's own I've never forgotten. He stood up in the drawing room and you said. Every man on the set has certain rights and one of those rights is to worship God in whatever way he chooses without the interference of King or government I didn't understand you then but I didn't forget the words life others hold Yes that must of in many years ago times have changed but people still come to lessen our Yes more than ever now I think intolerance always seems to bring men closer to God come and meet the others and then in a moment we'll be. Watching this I meet moody centers Navy drunk clearly you've learned you say. But how so very alert you know I've been watching this Arafat days now it occurred to me that she might be holding really just me. Because I could be wrong I could be couldn't did this was nothing more than a private party. Please leave this room. Friend Penny. We appreciate your interest but we are people who deplore violence does it ever really accomplish anything. It's alright nice. Please gather up the lantern is not viable just quickly as possible. I'm sorry John. This is a prime quality will only we could learn to hold tight campus we haven't much time. For endless rather a chilly night for a strong. Should read the log carefully not bothered five persons so gather for the purpose of religious question except for the part of a stepless church. And who might you say my name is William Penn pain and a relative now died of Alamosa William Penn of London my father I was sent over to our little take charge of his estate here. You is done. At all is a picture of a but does not have to another where Mr plan that this was an illegal native. You should be careful of those with only was so she now supposing you go. Where the others go. I've been most careful with all my social alright. But the importance of their prisoner was a fact that could not be taken lightly by the Irish authorities. A message was hurriedly dispatched to Admiral Sir William Penn himself asking for instructions and in London a sharp Sir William tell there's no his world had come back. But his reply was quick and decisive and was posted immediately and reassurances given then was released and ordered to set sail at once for England. Asking his friend John Money to accompany him for moral support. I. Bought it my boy. They tell me that you've been confined your bedroom I hope you haven't been else nor know. Why did you do this to me I've been trying to understand it ever since this letter from the US auditors in Ireland reached me I I cannot believe that there's wrong in seeking to worship God in one way rather than another. Nor can I But then why not discussing a matter of theology where discussing William Penn my son who has done a most foolish thing that seems to me father that William Penn should have the right to decide that point will you speak of rights may I ask what right you believe me to have the right to varying the show and every father who loves his son. And allow me my rights. Allow me to design a few of our and splendid. Prestige comfort happen is but are you sure said you know when I haven't that's why I know does not lie and you would prisoner in the tower. With how can I make you understand with the king and his brother the Duke of York looking with favorite upon our families a whole lot of lies before you. Yet. I've been in for on the does Majesty is prepared to offer me and of them and it's a great honor for our family will but without a son willing to carry on the title you would refute it if I continue with my religious beliefs I would have to refuse you continue to embarrass the crown I see perhaps this one misstep in Ireland can be excused his Majesty is not a vindictive man. And in the past will live alone His Majesty various sums of money from my own fortune maybe he'll forgive you your ill advised Irish adventure but that publication must never be repeated by by. Now that you paid me or to speak so you're free to leave London Asia was enjoyed. Well I was it is better than expected and many ways of which worse. Remember John my father and I have always been very close by. Instead. Well I suppose I should be getting along my bus stop by the House of Isaac predicted Pennington he's one of the greatest ministry I dare much like me to myself. Come with me by all means if he wishes of the other hand if he doesn't wish I do want to come John. I can see no harm in meeting I depending on. The day girl on the street you know the good thing maybe this is that we would find the Out here. Present William Penn really own the spirit daughter will be judged not mentioned. Will be B.C. Do. You wish to inform by fathers as a result read on what about leaking Grace's night most of us were able to post bail but some are less fortunate. Use the word we. I too was taken in that raid. Since I father has been so successful in raising bail money another Cajuns I thought I'd better come to him immediately. I'm sure you will do everything possible with. His with a man named Sam You are right. Doesn't know him a good lead time you were right to take an immediate is six he'd been arrested too many times before and he was sentenced to banishment. Prison ship leaves for Jamaica tomorrow I'm sorry. How and out of the ship yesterday there were three hundred million that hold change to get it without food or water. Three hundred was not possible to do anything for them. Might have saved ourselves by we can team but a giving up a great deal of the family. Future. I don't. The guy would have blamed anyone in that position for a Can. Each of us a scene certain the inside of a prison for the look of fear in the eyes of a man who is simply trying to worship God in the hind could we forget them knowing they just couldn't view we can't really in pain. Believe I go for a walk with what has happened between us ever since your return from Ireland I found it very difficult to talk to your we never seem to spend much time with each other I suppose not. Now if you don't mind I will High want you to stay here this afternoon a very important person or just consented to call on me I considered imperative that you should be here with me to greet him. Quite important person is fun while. The Duke of York. William this is a very great honor your highness. That one old friend should visit another I consider it rather a pleasure Your Highness knows my son believe indeed I do though I haven't seen him at court recently he's been away from England for some months. Yes he been away perhaps you would care for a glass of wine. Thank you know. Wasn't it. Your Highness my son and I need your advice on a very important matter. Your call is most propitious father. Yes we'll. My advice and what is this important matters are with him a short time ago my son was involved in an extremely thoughtless action in Ireland you may be familiar with the circumstances. It concerns certain non-conformist activities the friends movement shyness go on that was he was misled. Ill advised it occurred to us that this unfortunate lapse might injure his career and less and less so William Everyone was made aware of his change of heart. Precisely it utterly fantastic to assume that he should have aligned themselves of these these friends so I'm sure of that and I understand your problem. Actually I see no need for a public airing of this business if you wish I shall arrange an audience with the king tomorrow and your son can make his personal apologies then the net it will then be confined to court and cleared up there will there be satisfactory. It did you hear me young man. I did well or your Highness I can assure I wait I ask your questions or I'm sorry on I cannot apologize for you what did you say sir I have examined my conscience most carefully I have done nothing I don't the sight of God on man for which an apology is necessary. Rather it is Parliament who should apologize to England. The charge is a quite true. I'm proud to be counted a friend with your realize to whom you're speaking. Meant no offense to his highness or. A GOOD DAY SIR WILLIAM. Jury lies what your guns or. Retract your words No you refuse after everything I've told you. After everything was our car a leave me a father father I hired I never want to see you again. My friend. Earlier in the spring it told me what happened I didn't know what to do where to go so I came here I feel torn to pieces inside right into some place in this world where all religions can live in harmony I know someplace far enough away from England for open media is a bold enough this was some place like like the colonies in America. And then. Why not why not go to America to think of it a colony of our own a fresh new land away or anyone else could build in practice religion is only by this know when to the dream. Religious freedom to get all freedom and with the get a cup. Of course I know and have an inheritance. This dream of mine is no longer a man tickets necessary and we will get to America we must speak to our friend. At gatherings at the home of Isaac Pennington William panel didn't talk to them and Englishman began rallying to the glowing idea but brave words in that Iranian England led to the inevitable result. And he was arrested again and again for preaching in the streets here we are again Mr Penn even the rector be collinear well but you know I think you come once to UPTON Yeah and stayed to make air I looked for you today with me and their expert that good loving time this trip. But pens fate was never to waver and the risk with his father continued until the admiral was close to death. What was that name. Will's friend Wallace. Where lives I could find him. Her own children bring me a pen and some paper. Yes. Hi there you good afternoon my family. John Molly All right get out its theme is me and there actually was wrong. Enjoy the Alex Bring it was able to raise the money or she wasn't you know and what no father wants to see the very badly it was you provided the bail money is he's dying. Dying. The year is a going to lose their lives for nearly everyone under now. Die. A common ground we can stop by my place and freshen up. Room prepared. Quite fine. Try to get from Red have been resting. Resting watching watching several months it took a long time to understand the difference between stubbornness. And integrity. Is one thing as I must know you can believe that I thought I was doing everything in your best interests. I've always believed that I wanted you to come. To compromising would bring ease and happen. But I was wrong with. That I would have wronged you. At last I realized what pattern to become. What England to become. As being close to it. And in my blindness I lost by Sun No five finish your Linda had it everything I possess. In addition to that thinking it was a missing sixteen thousand pounds I could never ask him for it will be for you to secure it from the crown. Written to the Duke of York. Asking him to use it influence and give you all the protection you can. See. I've come to understand your dream will colony in America for religious freedom. And surely it's a freedom that leads to all the others it's a splendid dream my son. It was to take many years of struggle until the dream became a reality. Here free men would be queen. The series of privileges so sound and so sane that the Pennsylvania constitution of seventeen zero one was destined to be the direct frame upon which was built the Constitution of the United States.
- Run time
- Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.1
- Lasergraphics ScanStation
- Worldcat (source edition)